Immigration Law

The U.S. Immigration Path and How You Can Get Started
Many people from around the world want to immigrate to the United States.  Why? This is a country founded on freedom, opportunity, diversity, promise of a better life, and most of all, a basic recognition and respect for human rights.  There are also many reasons why foreigners would want to temporarily visit the U.S., such as tourism venues, educational opportunities, and business and investment opportunities, to name a few.  Many people are unfamiliar with the immigration regulations, statutes and laws that allow for visas, residency, and citizenship.  The processes for immigration benefits can be very difficult to navigate without the help of an immigration attorney.  Maggie Arias, P.A. has extensive experience in navigating the waters of the immigration system.  The firm handles all types of immigration cases.  Here is a brief listing:

Immigrant Visas, Residency, and Naturalization

  • Acquisition of Citizenship – Form N-400
  • Certificate of Citizenship – Form N-600
  • Obtaining proof of Citizenship
  • Dual Citizenship
  • Permanent U.S. Residence
  • Obtaining a Green Card Through Family Members in the United States
  • Obtaining a Visa to Marry Your U.S. Citizen Fiance (K-1 visa)
  • Employment Visas and Green Cards
  • Lottery Visas
  • Investor Visas and Green Cards
  • Special Immigrant Visas
  • TPS – Temporary Protected Status Form I-821
  • DED – Deferred Enforced Departure
  • Asylee or Refugee – people fleeing persecution in their home country may be granted either refugee or asylum status
  • Refugee Status Application – Form I-590
  • Asylee Status Application – Form I-589
  • Work Permit Application – Form I-765

Non-Immigrant (Temporary) Visas – DS-160 Non Immigrant Visa Application and Form I-134 (if you will depend on someone else for financial support)

  • B-1 or B-2 Visa – Business and Tourist Visas
  • H-1B Visa – These visas are for workers in occupations requiring highly specialized knowledge and to distinguished fashion models.  With this visa, you can work legally in the U.S. for your H-1B sponsor, up to a maximum of 6 years; visas are available for your accompanying spouse and minor children, but they may not work, unless they qualify for a work visa in their own right.  With the H-1B, you may travel in and out of the U.S. or remain in the U.S. continuously until the status expires.  If you are dismissed from your job by your sponsoring employer, he or she is responsible to pay for the trip back to your home country.
  • H-1B Visa Extension
  • H-2B Visa – These visas were created to allow people to come to the U.S. temporarily to fill non-agricultural jobs for which U.S. workers are in short supply.  With this visa, you can work legally in the U.S. in H-2B status for short periods of time; visas may be available for your accompanying spouse and minor children, but it may not be worth the risk of including them and they may not work, unless they qualify for a work visa in their own right.  You may travel in and out of the U.S. or remain here continuously until the status expires.
  • H-2B Visa Extension
  • H-3 Visa – Temporary Trainee Visa – You qualify for this visa if you are coming to the U.S. for on-the-job training to be provided by a U.S. company.  The purpose of the training should be to further your career in your home country.
  • H-3 Extention
  • L-1 Visa – Managers, Executives, or Persons with Specialized Knowledge – This visa allows managers, executives, or especially knowledgeable employees who work outside the U.S. for a company that has an affiliated entity inside the U.S. to come to the U.S. and perform services for that entity.  There are no limits on how many people can get L-1 visas every year.
  • E-1 Visa – Based on trade treaties entered into with several countries, the E-1 visa allows citizens of those countries to easily engage in international trading activities.  Many people refer to this visa as the equivalent of a permanent residency in the U.S. because the E-1 allows the holder to be self-employed and because it can be renewed indefinitely.  There is no limit on the number of E-1 visas that can be issued every year.
  • E-2 Visa – This visa allows business-people from certain countries to work in the U.S. for a business in which people from their country have invested.  Again, an unlimited number of extensions are allowed and there are no limits on the number of E-2s that can be issued each year.
  • M-1 – Vocational Student
  • F-1 – Academic Student
  • J-1 – Exchange Visitor Visa
  • O-1 Visa – Persons of Extraordinary Ability in the Arts, Athletics, Science, Business, and Education
  • O-2 Visa – Support Staff for People With O-1 Visas
  • O-3 Visa – Accompanying Relatives of Those With O-1 and O-2 Visas
  • P-1 Visa – Outstanding Athletes, Athletic Teams, and Entertainment Companies
  • P-2 Visa – Participants in Reciprocal Exchange Programs
  • P-3 Visa – Culturally Unique Groups
  • P-4 Visa – Accompanying Relatives of People With P-1, P-2, and P-3 Visas
  • R-1 Visa – Religious Workers
  • R-2 Visa – Accompanying Relatives of Those With R-1 Visas
  • O, P, and R Extensions

Deportation Defense
Deportation or removal from the U.S. can be the equivalent of a life or death sentence for many people, especially those facing persecution of any kind in their countries of origin. Maggie Arias, P.A. can assist those who are facing deportation/removal from the U.S. There are many ways to fight a deportation case, but it can involve an extensive process which at times is extremely difficult to navigate alone.  It is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney in order to prepare the best defense possible.

Detention by Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) or by Customs Border Patrol (CBP)
If you or someone you know have or has been arrested, and is suspected of being a non-resident, or of being in the U.S. illegally, then the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement may detain the individual in order to further investigate immigration status. If the person’s residency, citizenship, or other immigration status is not confirmed, the individual may face deportation or removal from the U.S.. It is important to know that if you or anyone you know are or is being held by ICE, there are options you can exercise while your immigration status is being confirmed.

Contact Maggie Arias, P.A. at 305-934-9024 for a free consultation!